ɫ̳

Skip to content
A Paqui One Chip Challenge chip is displayed in Boston, Friday, Sept. 8, 2023.  A medical examiner says a Massachusetts teen who participated in a spicy tortilla chip challenge died from ingesting a substance “with a high capsaicin concentration,” according to autopsy results The Associated Press obtained late Wednesday, May 15, 2024. Capsaicin is a chili pepper extract. Harris Wolobah died on Sept. 1, 2023, after eating the chip. (AP Photo/Steve LeBlanc, File)
A Paqui One Chip Challenge chip is displayed in Boston, Friday, Sept. 8, 2023. A medical examiner says a Massachusetts teen who participated in a spicy tortilla chip challenge died from ingesting a substance “with a high capsaicin concentration,” according to autopsy results The Associated Press obtained late Wednesday, May 15, 2024. Capsaicin is a chili pepper extract. Harris Wolobah died on Sept. 1, 2023, after eating the chip. (AP Photo/Steve LeBlanc, File)
Author
UPDATED:

BOSTON  — A Massachusetts teen who participated in a on social media died from eating a large quantity of chile pepper extract and also had a congenital heart defect, according to an autopsy report obtained by The Associated Press.

Harris Wolobah, a 10th grader from the city of Worcester, died on Sept. 1, 2023, after eating the chip manufactured by Paqui. The cause of death was listed as cardiopulmonary arrest “in the setting of recent ingestion of food substance with high capsaicin concentration,” according to the autopsy from the Chief Office of the Medical Examiner.

  • Dublin, CA – October 07: A recent social media trend...

    Dublin, CA – October 07: A recent social media trend has caused some children to vomit, sweat profusely and their tongues turn blue after participating in the “One Chip Challenge.” After several students conducted the challenge at Bay Area schools, multiple principals have sent warnings to parents about the Paqui chip, which is made with Carolina Reaper and Scorpion peppers. (Sarah Dussault/Bay Area ɫ̳ Group)

  • A Paqui One Chip Challenge chip is displayed in Boston,...

    A Paqui One Chip Challenge chip is displayed in Boston, Friday, Sept. 8, 2023. A medical examiner says a Massachusetts teen who participated in a spicy tortilla chip challenge died from ingesting a substance “with a high capsaicin concentration,” according to autopsy results The Associated Press obtained late Wednesday, May 15, 2024. Capsaicin is a chili pepper extract. Harris Wolobah died on Sept. 1, 2023, after eating the chip. (AP Photo/Steve LeBlanc, File)

  • A package of Paqui OneChipChallenge spicy tortilla chips is seen...

    A package of Paqui OneChipChallenge spicy tortilla chips is seen on Thursday, Sept. 7, 2023, in Boston. Authorities are raising the alarm about a OneChipChallenge social media trend that encourages people to avoid seeking relief from eating and drinking for as long as possible after eating the chips, days after a Massachusetts teenager died hours after taking part in the challenge. The dare is popular on social media sites, with scores of people including children unwrapping the packaging, eating the chips and reacting to the heat. (AP Photo/Steve LeBlanc)

  • Dublin, CA – October 06: A recent social media trend...

    Dublin, CA – October 06: A recent social media trend has caused some children to vomit, sweat profusely and their tongues turn blue after participating in the “One Chip Challenge.” After several students conducted the challenge at Bay Area schools, multiple principals have sent warnings to parents about the Paqui chip, which is made with Carolina Reaper and Scorpion peppers. (Sarah Dussault/Bay Area ɫ̳ Group)

  • Dublin, CA – October 07: A recent social media trend...

    Dublin, CA – October 07: A recent social media trend has caused some children to vomit, sweat profusely and their tongues turn blue after participating in the “One Chip Challenge.” After several students conducted the challenge at Bay Area schools, multiple principals have sent warnings to parents about the Paqui chip, which is made with Carolina Reaper and Scorpion peppers. (Sarah Dussault/Bay Area ɫ̳ Group)

  • Dublin, CA – October 07: A recent social media trend...

    Dublin, CA – October 07: A recent social media trend has caused some children to vomit, sweat profusely and their tongues turn blue after participating in the “One Chip Challenge.” After several students conducted the challenge at Bay Area schools, multiple principals have sent warnings to parents about the Paqui chip, which is made with Carolina Reaper and Scorpion peppers. (Sarah Dussault/Bay Area ɫ̳ Group)

  • Dublin, CA – October 06: A recent social media trend...

    Dublin, CA – October 06: A recent social media trend has caused some children to vomit, sweat profusely and their tongues turn blue after participating in the “One Chip Challenge.” After several students conducted the challenge at Bay Area schools, multiple principals have sent warnings to parents about the Paqui chip, which is made with Carolina Reaper and Scorpion peppers. (Sarah Dussault/Bay Area ɫ̳ Group)

of

Expand

after Harris’ death. The Associated Press sent an email seeking comment Thursday to the Hershey Co., which owns Paqui.

The cause of death was determined on Feb. 27, and the death certificate was released to the city clerk’s office on March 5, according to Elaine Driscoll, a spokesperson for the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security.

The Paqui chip, sold individually for about $10, came wrapped in foil in a coffin-shaped box containing the warning that it was intended for the “vengeful pleasure of intense heat and pain.” The warning noted that the chip was for adult consumption only, and should be kept out of the reach of children.

Despite the warning, children have had no problem buying the chips. There have been reports from around the country of teens who have gotten sick after taking part in the chip-eating challenge, including three who were sent to a hospital. Paramedics were called to a Minnesota school in 2022 when seven students fell ill after taking part in the challenge.

Originally Published:

More in Things To Do